2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 1/2 lbs Chuck Roast, cut into bite sized pieces
Salt and fresh ground pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbsp Butter2 Tbsp Flour
2 carrots, cut into small pieces
2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 bay leaf (or dried bay leaves)
4 sprigs fresh Thyme
2 cups Merlot
2 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper beef. Heat vegetable oil in dutch oven until very hot and sear meat. Remove meat, set aside.
- Add onion, let sweat, add a pinch of salt, butter and flour. Cook 3-4 minutes, until onions soften, but don't burn flour.
- Add 1/2 bottle (2 cups) of wine. Reduce by about 1/2 (takes about 10 minutes). Add carrots, celery, meat w/juices, pinch of salt, bay leaf and tied thyme sprigs. Cover with 2 cups beef broth.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours on very low.
- Uncover and simmer 1/2 hour longer.
- Serve over mashed potatoes