Sunday, March 15, 2009

Chocolate

So, I gave up chocolate for Lent. I know, pretty standard stuff, right? Well, I didn't realize just how many things I eat have chocolate in them. Also, how many recipes I look at online that have chocolate in them. Wow! Other than just not having any more Cadbury Mini Eggs until Easter (the total count that I ate in 1 week and 1 day was 34 oz, that was three 8 oz bags and one 10 oz bag, yes, pretty much all by myself), which is killing me by the way and I need to make sure I buy a bag for the Easter Bunny to put in my basket, there are lots of other things that I eat that have chocolate in them. The number one example, Hot Chocolate from Starbucks. UGH! I was buying that at least once a week, if not more. Also, my Fiber One Oats and Chocolate bars. Those are a great snack when I need a sweet fix, but want something semi-good for me.

Chocolate chip muffins, chocolate chip cookie dough, donuts, chocolate chip cookies someone brought in for work... The list goes on and on. I can honestly say that I have strictly adhered to my promise, with one small faux paux. When we had our snow days, and we had come in from spending over three hours in the snow, I made the family the best hot chocolate in the world. I had a small mug. I figured, we only get snow once every five years or snow like that, and I wanted to enjoy the day with my family.

The recipie for this wonderful hot chocolate is below:

Hot Chocolate
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk
2 TBSP sugar
pinch of salt
8 oz dark chocolate, shaved or finely chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
marshmallows or whipped cream for serving

Heat cream, milk, sugar and salt until hot. I use my glass Hot Chocolate Pot from Williams Sonoma for this. I can put it right into the microwave for 5-7 minutes and it is perfect!

Once heated, add the chocolate and vanilla and froth (if you don't have a frother, invest in a cheap drink mixer, again, my pot came with one) until thoroughly mixed and smooth.

Pour into mugs and top with marshmallows or whipped cream. I prefer to use whipped cream and the kids marshmallows

No comments: