Friday, January 12, 2007

January 13, 2003 at 3:04 PM

DQ came into the world. Here is her birth story:

I woke up Monday morning at 1 AM and thought I had wet the bed. Of course as soon as I got up and started to walk to the bathroom I realized what it was. Not really gushing at this point, but obviously a big leak. I called and woke up my mom to come down and stay with PM. I called BD to tell him to get on a plane (he was in NC) and called my sister to come down to take me to the hospital. At this point, I wasn't really having contractions. I then sat on the toilet until my sister and mom got there, didn't want to chance leaking fluid all over our new house, plus I think her head was plugging the leak a little bit. My sister and mom got there and my sister drove me to the hospital. We got there around 3AM.

After sitting in triage for a while, they had to verify that it really was my water and I was in labor, they finally moved me to a birthing suite. I was at 4cm and 80% by this point and it was about 4:30 AM or so. The place was packed. All 6 triage rooms were full and all 10 birthing suites were full. I got the last one. By about 6:30, three other babies had been born. I explained the situation that BD had gotten a flight but wouldn't get in until 9:48 AM and then he had to get to the hospital, which would get him there around 10:15 - 10:30 AM. They agreed to wait as long as possible for any interventions and just let me go slow. They advised against the epidural at this point because sometimes in second labors they make the mother relax so much that the contractions can get stronger and things can go faster. So, I just toughed it out. It wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be.

By about 9, when I hadn't really made any progress, they wanted to start pitocin. I told them I would when I knew BD's plane had landed. They agreed to wait. When BD called and said he was here and getting a car I told them we could go ahead, but that I wanted an epidural first. I got the epidural and pitocin around 11:00. They kept upping the pitocin because my contractions kept backing off. At this point BD and my sister were both with me. When they checked me around 1PM, I was only at 5cm. But then things really started happening. I tried to nap, but there was so much pressure from the baby moving down that it was near impossible. I told them this and pretty much it was downhill from here.

They checked me again around 2 I think and I was at 8cm and 100%. I knew things were really cooking because there was so much pressure and it hurt so bad that I was miserable. Since at this point, it still looked like it would be a while to the nurse, my sister decided to leave and go home to shower. Well, around 2:30, she left and right after she left things were so intense that I had to practically beg the nurse to get the doctor in there. I don't think that she believed me that it was time. The doctor and resident came literally running in and they were flying around trying to get everything set up. BD called my sister and told her to turn around and come back, 2:35 PM. She hadn't gotten very far. I remember when PM was born, the doctor leisurely setting up and getting dressed and all. These people were practically sprinting around the room!

I started pushing between 2:40 and 2:45 and little miss DQ was born at 3:04. I tried to do it without an episiotomy, but the doctor finally had to do one. She was a very quiet baby when she was born. She didn't really cry and that worried me. They insisted she was ok. BD went over with her while they checked her out and he was concerned as well. They did make her cry somehow to show us that she was ok. She was very pink in color, except for the bluish feet and hands.

While they stitched me up, BD stood guard over DQ and watched every little move. They then handed her to dad for the first time and then to me. We took some pictures and then I got the chance to nurse for the first time after they cleaned her up a little more. She nursed very well, almost 15 minutes on each side! And that was it.

My sister teased that she got back and heard them telling me to push. So, she thought she would run downstairs and by a magazine because it would be a little bit. When she got back up, she heard DQ crying and was shocked. She was trying to listen to see if she was a boy or girl but everybody kept saying baby or it. Then she finally heard she and knew it was a girl. She was very excited.

So, that's it. Tomorrow as of 3:04PM, my baby will be 4 years old. Happy Birthday sweet girl!

1 comment:

QofD said...

What a great story! And I love, love, love the photos. She is absolutely precious!