Friday, November 17, 2006

Favorite Thanksgiving Recipe

For those of you that are wondering (Enquiring minds anyone?), I usually take Sweet Potato Casserole to any thanksgiving potluck. It gets rave reviews and is actually pretty easy to make. I got the recipe from one of my Southern Living cookbooks. (Have I told you I LOVE cookbooks and have a ton of them? I'll have to take a picture sometime.) Anyway, the recipe is below. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Sweet Potato Casserole

6 medium-size sweet potatoes
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

  1. Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water to cover 30 to 45 minutes or until tender. Let cool to touch; peel and mash potatoes. (I put mine in my KitchenAid Stand Mixer and mash them that way, because I am lazy like that.)
  2. Combine sweet potato, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and next 4 ingredients; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon into greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
  3. Combine 1 cup brown sugar and flour; cut in 1/4 cup butter with pastry blender, or fork, until mixture is crumbly. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly around edges.
Yield: 8 servings
You can make this ahead and refrigerate, just add about 5 minutes to the baking time.

Per Serving: Calories 644; Fat 32.1g; Cholesterol 103mg; Sodium 247mg

If you make this some time, let me know how you liked it!

No comments: